OMS 5th Grade Academy
Incoming 5th Graders and Families!
Please join us on Zoom for Oaklea's 5th Grade Family Night this coming Monday, June 7 from 6-7PM! This will be an opportunity for you to get to know the wonderful 5th grade teachers and staff you'll be working with in the coming school year, and to ask questions about 5th grade life at Oaklea. We hope to see you there! Go Tigers! https://zoom.us/j/94879602470?pwd=cGEzMUxreW82bDhWTzY3R3JsczY0QT09
¡Estudiantes entrando al 5º grado y familias!
¡Favor de unirse con nosotros por Zoom para una Noche Familiar de Oaklea del 5º Grado este próximo lunes, 7 de junio de 6-7PM! Esto será una oportunidad para que usted conozcan los maravillosos maestros y personal del 5º grado que estarán trabajando con usted en el próximo año escolar, y para hacer preguntas sobre la vida de un estudiante del 5º grado en Oaklea. ¡Esperamos en verlos! ¡Vamos Tigres! https://zoom.us/j/94879602470?pwd=cGEzMUxreW82bDhWTzY3R3JsczY0QT09
Aviah Woods is 5GA’s Student of the Month. Art is her favorite subject in school. Someone she really admires is her mom because, “She is super kind and she listens to what you have to say, and she won’t get offended by it.” Her advice to other students on how to be successful is, “Your attitude affects what you’re going to do. If you have a positive attitude, you’ll get more done and be more successful.” Aviah’s teacher, Ms. Kulm, says. “Aviah Woods is a hard-working, motivated, and kind-hearted student who is a friend to all. She does not shy away from a challenge and is always willing to help her peers. She is on student leadership and is currently working on helping 5GA staff plan a memorable Recognition Ceremony. She and her step dad are also putting together a slide show for her class so that this year's memories will be documented. In her spare time, Aviah is an avid horse rider who enjoys competing with her favorite horse, George.”
Aviah Woods es la Estudiante del Mes de 5GA. Arte es su materia favorita en la escuela. Alguien que admira es su madre porque, "Ella es súper amable y ella escucha lo que tienes que decir, y no se ofende." Su consejo para los otros estudiantes en cómo ser exitoso/a es "Tu actitud afecta lo que harás. Si tú tienes una actitud positiva, lograras más y serás mas exitoso/a." La maestro de Aviah, la Sra. Kulm, dice. "Avia Woods es una estudiante trabajadora, motivada, y bondadosa en que es una amiga para todos. Ella no evita un reto y siempre está dispuesta en ayudar a sus compañeros. Ella está en el liderazgo estudiantil y está actualmente trabajando en ayudar al personal de 5GA planear una Ceremonia de Reconocimiento memorable. Ella y su padrastro están organizando una presentación para su clase para que las memorias de este año sean documentadas. En su tiempo libre, Aviah es un ávida en montar caballos en que disfruta la competencia con su caballo favorito, George."
5GA Student of the Month -Alex Sanguins
Alexander Sanguins is the 5th Grade Academy’s Student of the Month. Alex’s favorite subject in school is writing; he especially enjoys composing creative stories. Outside of school, he likes baseball and riding scooters. The people Alex’s life he most admires are his mom and his dad. Alex says, “They help me with everything and they are nice.” Some advice Alex would give to other students who want to do well in school is, “Just listen to your teacher.”Marla Pasterick, Alex’s ELA teacher says, “Alex puts so much effort and time into his writing pieces, and continues to perfect his writing through active engagement and perseverance. His positive attitude and work ethic are what stand out the most. Never lose that drive, Alex! Mr. Johnson, Alex’s Math and Reading teachers says, "Alex has been a fantastic student all year with many teachers from 5GA offering the same conclusion. Alex joined my class during the first transition back to in-person and has shown great work-habits, a phenomenal sense of humor, and a willingness to stay persistent even when things are challenging. I always look forward to Alex's responses in class discussions and appreciate his overall kindness towards others. I'm very proud to see Alex earn this month's Student of the Month award."
Congratulations, Alex! We are proud of you.
April 26, 2021
Dear 5th Grade Academy Parents and Families,
We hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather spring has brought us, and that your students are enjoying being at school as much as we enjoy having them here! There are a few upcoming events at 5GA we want to make sure you’re aware of:
- Picture Day is May 11! Lifetouch will be at 5GA, and we are excited to see our students’ smiling faces in the resulting photos! No retakes are possible this year, so please be ready to go on the 11th!
- State Testing opens on May 3. In order for students to successfully access and complete state testing, it is important that all Chromebooks be at school. Please help your student remember to bring their device to school every Thursday!
- Book Fair is being held virtually this year! Look for fliers coming home with your students this week. Orders for high-interest books can be made online. We LOVE how much 5GA students love to read!
- Health and Safety: as we get more and more comfortable being in school, it feels easier to relax some of our COVID protocols. With a current surge in Lane County COVID cases, it is extremely important that we stay focused on safety.
- Please talk with your child about the importance of staying strong with hand sanitizing, distancing, and masking so we don’t face another shutdown this year.
- Water at School: due to COVID restrictions, students are unable to use water fountains at school. Please send water with your student every day in a non-glass container.
- Campus Safety: when students arrive on campus in the morning, they must remain on campus (no on-and-off), wear face coverings, and maintain social distancing, even before the start of school. Thank you for reminding your student of these important safety requirements.
- Students of the Week: congratulations to our safe, respectful, and responsible Students of the Week for April - so far. Keep up the great work!
Friday, 4/2 Riley Greer (Kulm), Kimberly Johnson (Koch), Hunter Jackson (Gardner),
Brooklyn Jones (Knutson), Ale Medina Chanes (Pasterick), Colby Williams (Johnson)
Friday, 4/9 Cooper Nail (Kulm), Tylan Yeo (Knutson), Chris Galvan Perez (Gardner),
Gretchen Tracer (Pasterick), Kloee Mott (Johnson)
Friday, 4/16 Daysin Wright (Kulm), Alex Sanguins (Johnson), Kodie Brewer (Pasterick), Bayleigh Williams (Knutson), Cody Mitchell (Gardner)
Friday, 4/23 Ira Fox (Kulm), Kylee Atkins (Pasterick), J T Strout (Knutson), Ittai Reyes Pena (Gardner), John Tolliver & Kate Peterson (Johnson)
Remember, at 5th Grade Academy, these are the things we HAF to do - all day, every day:
Hands - Sanitized
Arms - 2 lengths apart
Face - Covered
As always, if you have questions or needs, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 5GA. We are here to support our incredible students and families in any way we can.
Joy O’Renick and the 5th Grade Academy Team
Director of Secondary Schools/5th Grade Academy Principal
26 de abril, 2021
Queridos Padres y Familias de la Academia del 5o Grado,
Esperamos que estén disfrutando del maravilloso clima de la primavera que se nos ha presentado, y que a su estudiante le encantará estar en la escuela como a nosotros nos encanta tenerlos aquí! Hay unos cuantos próximos eventos en 5GA que quisiéramos que ustedes estén informados:
- ¡El Día de las Fotos es el 11 de mayo! Lifetouch estará en 5GA, y estamos emocionados de ver a nuestros estudiantes sonriendo en las fotos! No habrá fotos para retomar este año, entonces favor de estar listos para el 11!
- Exámenes Estatales abren el 3 de mayo. Con el fin de que los estudiantes tengan acceso exitoso y terminen sus exámenes estatales, es importante que todos los Chromebooks estén en la escuela. Favor de ayudarle a su estudiante a recordarle de llevar su aparato a la escuela cada jueves!
- La Feria de Libros se llevará a cabo virtualmente este año! Busque los folletos que llegan a casa con sus estudiantes esta semana. Las órdenes de libros con alta interes se pueden hacer en linea. Nos ENCANTA cuanto les encanta leer a los estudiantes de 5GA!
- Salud y Seguridad: tal como nos acomodamos más en estar en la escuela, se siente más fácil relajar algunos de nuestros protocolos de COVID. Con el aumento actual en los casa de COVID del Condado de Lane, es extremadamente importante que nos enfoquemos en la seguridad.
- Favor de hablar con su hijo/a sobre la importancia de mantenerse fuerte con desinfectarse las manos, distanciamiento, y cubrebocas para que no nos enfrentemos con otro cierre este año.
- Agua en la Escuela: debido a las restricciones de COVID, los estudiantes no podrán usar las fuentes de agua en la escuela. Favor de enviar agua con su estudiante cada día en una botella que no sea de vidrio.
- Seguridad del Campus: cuando los estudiantes llegan al campus en la mañana, se deben quedar en el campus (no adentro y afuera), ponerse su cubreboca, y mantener distanciamiento social, hasta antes del comienzo de clases. Gracias por recordarles a su estudiante la importancia de los requisitos de seguridad.
- Estudiantes de la Semana: felicidades a nuestros seguros, respetuosos, y responsables Estudiantes de la Semana para Abril - hasta ahora. ¡Mantengan ese gran trabajo!
Viernes, 4/2 Riley Greer (Kulm), Kimberly Johnson (Koch), Hunter Jackson (Gardner),
Brooklyn Jones (Knutson), Ale Medina Chanes (Pasterick), Colby Williams (Johnson)
Viernes, 4/9 Cooper Nail (Kulm), Tylan Yeo (Knutson), Chris Galvan Perez (Gardner),
Gretchen Tracer (Pasterick), Kloee Mott (Johnson)
Viernes, 4/16 Daysin Wright (Kulm), Alex Sanguins (Johnson), Kodie Brewer (Pasterick), Bayleigh Williams (Knutson), Cody Mitchell (Gardner)
Viernes, 4/23 Ira Fox (Kulm), Kylee Atkins (Pasterick), J T Strout (Knutson), Ittai Reyes Pena (Gardner), John Tolliver & Kate Peterson (Johnson)
Recuerda, en la Academia del 5o Grado, estas son las cosas que tenemos (HAF) que hacer - todo el dia, cada dia:
Hands (Manos) - Sanitized (Desinfectar)
Arms (Brazos) - 2 lengths apart (2 espacios separados)
Face (Cara) - Covered (Cubrirla)
Como siempre, si usted tiene preguntas o necesidades, no dude en comunicarse con nosotros al 5GA. Estamos aquí para apoyar a nuestros increíbles estudiantes y familias de cualquier manera posible.
Joy O’Renick y el Equipo de la Academia del 5o Grado
Directora de las Escuelas Secundarias/Directora de la Academia del 5o Grado
Lili’s favorite subject is math. She says she enjoys the challenge of not understanding something at first, then figuring it out with the help of her teacher. At home, Lili enjoys painting, drawing, and playing video games with her friends. Lili looks up to many members of her family, including her mom, dad, and brothers. She says she admires her dad because, “He’s just really kind and he helps a lot of people.” She describes a time when her father saw someone get in a car crash and rushed immediately to help them. Lili says his actions have inspired her to someday “get a really good job and be educated so I can earn a lot of money and help other people who are in need.” With this in mind, Lili says she’d like to become a doctor. When asked what advice she’d give to other students who want to be successful, she says, “Keep trying even if you don’t get something.”
Time to Return 5GA Technology
This is a reminder for our in-person learners. Tomorrow, June 4th, all technology, which includes Chromebooks, headphones, hotspots and charging cords should be returned to 5th Grade Academy. Please send these items with your student(s), or drop them off between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM.
Este es un recordatorio para nuestros estudiantes en persona. Mañana, 4 de junio, toda la tecnología, en cual incluye Chromebooks, audífonos, hotspots y cargadores se deben entregar a la Academia del 5º Grado. Favor de enviar estas cosas con su estudiante, o entregarlos entre las 8:00 AM y las 4:00 PM.
Beginning the week of May 24th, I will be supporting our classroom teachers with the delivery of lessons to include the requirements outlined in Senate Bill 856, or Erin’s Law, which requires school districts to provide child sex abuse prevention instruction for all students in each grade, K-12. Please see below PDF for more detailed information that also includes how to opt your student out of these lessons.
April 5, 2021
Hello 5GA Parents and Families,
Starting tomorrow, April 6, the 5th Grade Academy will send Chromebooks home at the end of the day EVERY TUESDAY for students to use on Wednesday assignments, unless they have a device available to use at home.*
- At 8:50 each Wednesday morning, students will now log on to their teacher’s Zoom class for their required online Homeroom meeting. Their teacher will take attendance and go over the day’s asynchronous assignments. After this, students will be able to log off and work on their own.
- Teachers will stay online for “office hours” until 9:50 each Wednesday morning. Students who need additional help or who have more questions can stay online and receive teacher support.
- IMPORTANT: students must bring their Chromebooks back to school with them each Thursday for use on in-school assignments.
- *Charging cords will NOT be sent home with students, so it will be important that they save the battery for school work and their Zoom meeting.
Parents/Guardians, please support your students by reviewing Safe Transport Practices for Chromebooks below. We do not have additional devices available to replace damaged ones.
Safe Transport Practices:
Close Chromebook prior to transporting.
Transport in a backpack or padded bag.
Keep CB powered off, except for school assignments and Wednesday morning Zoom meeting.
Make sure to return each Thursday so you can do your assignments at school!
Family Tech Support is Available!
We'll get you the help you need based on the information in your communication.
In the video link below contains a recorded support video session that helped families who use personal devices, rather than district-issued devices, to access Distance Learning. If you are struggling with some setups, or need general help, please watch the video. If you have more questions, please call your school's number to be directed to the right support person in our district.
Tech Support Family Video Link
GoGuardian Spanish Tech Support Family Video